Subject: Computers, Computers, Computers.
From: Simon Auchterlonie <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:47:33 -0500

Which new machine to buy?  This might not sound like very much of a problem
but there is so many computers (or should I say workstations) out there it 
starts
to become a problem. The computer that I eventually purchase will be for 
work
and they will be paying for it (not that I'm stupid enough to buy it for 
them of course).
I seem to have narrowed it down to only a few, but don't know enough about 
any
of them to make a decision.

a.) First thought about a Dec-Alpha, a good fast machine, but doesn't run 
Photoshop.
I use Photoshop as much as I use Lightwave if not a little bit more.

b.) Then someone told me about Raptors and that these beasts trample over 
the
Dec-Alphas. This was my next choice.

c.) The last, but first choice, if you know what I mean is the good old 
Silicon Graphics
machine. But I've heard some good, I've heard some bad.

I was recently at the LEAF (London Animation and Effects Festival) where I 
spent
about three hours on the Silicon Graphics stand. This was the first time 
that I had
ever used an SG. The software was Power Animator 7.0 and I was most 
Impressed,
but saying that I didn't really have enough time to find all of it's faults.

The questions that I am asking are, does any one out there have any of these 

machines and if so could you :

a.) Tell me what each one of them is like. EG. Good points, bad points.

b.) Which you prefer.

c.) A reference to speed that mere mortals can understand. I have a 90Mhz
Pentium with 64Mb ram. Would 64Mb be enough in these machines.

d.) Which software do you run Photoshop, Razor, etc,etc.... or is there some 

software that runs on these machines that does not run on others.

e.) If DPS's PVR and other hardware is supported on these machines.

f.) Could you also give me prices and specs of these machines.
What would be nice is a list of E-mail addresses of good dealers.
I seen, is it Merle, about but don't know his E-mail.

and generally any thing else you think that would be of use to me.

Many thanks to any one that reads, understands and replys to my letter.

Cheers and thanks again.

Simon.Auchterlonie